- Apply flame to the sage stick until the smoke rises clearly
- Wait until the flame dies down so it smolders - Do not shake flame but let it subside naturally
- Carry the stick in your power hand (the hand you write with) and move to the main door in the room
- Trace around the door in a clockwise motion then proceed to the right
- Stop at each door and window to trace arount it
- Move the stick above and below furniture being careful to catch the ash
- Continue around the room until you reach where you started
- Extinguish the stick and save for future use
What to say and look for:
As you move abound the room, you may state aloud that you wish the room cleared of negativity, that you wish peace and joy to enter, and that evil must leave. You can call on help to accomplish this from ancestors, angels, guides or the universe in general.
As you smudge, notice how the smoke moves. Pause every few feet and watch the smoke rise. If it rises straight up - the area is clear, but if the smoke seems to turn or move oddly - there may rest some negative energy, a mischieveous spirit, or a connection to someone who wishes you ill. To clear this space, hold the smudge stick in place until the smoke rises straight up. If it is around an object, pass the object through the smoke several times and then hold the smoldering sage stick above the object and see if the smoke will rise straight up.
To smudge a room involves walking around the room with the smoldering sage. Always smudge with care. If a breeze from a fan or open window catches loose burning sage leaves, they may spread the room perhaps causing something to catch fire. It is suggested to carry a dish with a little water in it to catch the ash.